Busy, Busy, Busy

We’ve had a busy start to our new year! We went to New York in December for our 5 year anniversary and had a blast! Well, minus my heart rate getting into the 170’s and me almost passing out in the Statue of Liberty- I could have done without that part. Now my heart rate easily goes into the 140’s when I’m barely working out and I have always attributed it to being out of shape (even though round is a shape). However, after the incident in NYC Carter gave me an ultimatum- I either see a cardiologist or he wouldn’t participate in our IVF stuff. 🙄

I saw my cardiologist friend who specializes in electrophysiology of the heart. I explained what happened and I said “thats fine right?” and his response was “….. well, I won’t say it’s not fine, but I definitely need more information.” That was on a Tuesday and I was in his office Friday for an EKG and the following Wednesday I had an echocardiogram which is an ultrasound that looks at the physical aspects of the heart to determine if there is any damage that might be causing this irregular heart rate. That was normal, thankfully, so then I had to do an exercise stress test which I did yesterday. They hook you up to a bunch of electrodes and have you walk on a treadmill at varying speeds and inclines until you go into a bad rhythm, hit your max heart rate, or pass out. No I’m kidding, you can tell them to stop when you feel like you can’t go anymore which is what happened with me. There are three different phases and about 10 seconds into the first phase my heart rate (which is usually in the 60’s) jumped up to the 120’s. By the start of the second phase I was in the 140’s and by the end of the second phase I had hit 178 and I was short of breath and could feel my heart palpitations. She asked if I wanted to go to the third phase or stop, but I wanted to get my money’s worth out of this test so I told her to keep going. Within about 10 seconds my heart rate went to 187 and I was dizzy, fatigued, very short of breath, and my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest so I tapped out and we stopped the test. It took 10 minutes for my heart rate to get under 100 and that was only for a split second. It stayed about 90-110 for about 45 minutes after we left the hospital. So we will see what the cardiologist says, but I’m guessing I’m going to have to wear a heart monitor for a little bit. No biggie. It will allow me to better empathize with my patients.

Jump to today and we had our first appt for our IVF cycle.


‘m just happy to be off that birth control because it was making me a lunatic. I had blood work and a baseline ultrasound and everything looks great! I got my medications in last week and have everything set up.


start injections this Friday so we will see how it goes! I have another appointment next Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to make sure I’m on track with my hormones and follicle sizes. I have received so many kind words of encouragement and I am truly grateful for everyone who is supporting us in this journey! We are hopeful this will be a success since all our eggs are in this basket!

5 thoughts on “Busy, Busy, Busy

  1. You are so funny. Interested to see how your results turn out. I’ve got similar cardiac issues so I might just see a cardiologist too.


  2. Ashley, your are witty and informative! Your patients would probably be very interested in your blog. You give info that is easily understood and humorous I can’t wait to hear all info on IVF. You have added great pics and narrative in light of the situation. You are and will always be my Lady Bug💗

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s